Crash Team Racing players forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Crash Team Racing players forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inctr4everFeel free to improve it!

CTR rules for 1vs1 IRL tournament discussion

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
ktem
Citizen
Citizen
ktem

Registration date : 2015-05-04

CTR rules for 1vs1 IRL tournament discussion Empty
PostSubject: CTR rules for 1vs1 IRL tournament discussion   CTR rules for 1vs1 IRL tournament discussion Icon_minitime15/5/2015, 09:59

Hey everyone!

If you see my presentation, you read i have for project to do some IRL CTR tournament in France! Smile

But, i'm not GOD rank at CTR, and i want to make tournaments with the best rules, so i need help of you to make good choices Very Happy

So, i post the first rules i do (And sorry for the bad and poor english, say to me where i do mistakes, i will correct it Smile )

Hope you will help me to make this rules better Smile

2 Types of tournament: Joute match and Arcade match

Differences between Arcade match and Joute match:

Arcade match: 1vs1, with CPU level Hard, with item.

Joute match:
1vs1, without CPU, without item.

Common rules:

- The tournament is played in PAL EU version of CTR for PS1

- The match is in 1 cup

- the cup is choosed by the tournament organiser, both match of the 1st turn was in the same Cup. The next turn was on an other cup, etc...

- The player with the most of points won the match. If both players have the same number of points, they do an ultimate race in 1 of the map of the cup. Both players choose the map, if they can't be ok, the map is choose randomly.

- SC is banned

- Grass cut is authorized

- Oxide cut is authorized

- All type of fire is authorized

- Penta is banned.

See you!

Back to top Go down
ktem
Citizen
Citizen
ktem

PostSubject: Re: CTR rules for 1vs1 IRL tournament discussion   CTR rules for 1vs1 IRL tournament discussion Icon_minitime17/5/2015, 10:48

So no reply... But i don't lose hope! Smile

Now i thinking about rules without cup mode, like "first to win 3/5 races"

But how to choose this races... I'm thinking about this Smile
Back to top Go down
bazoo
Citizen
Citizen
bazoo

Male
Registration date : 2015-01-13

Estadisticas
Nice User:
CTR rules for 1vs1 IRL tournament discussion Left_bar_bleue1000/1000CTR rules for 1vs1 IRL tournament discussion Empty_bar_bleue  (1000/1000)
Descripcion:

PostSubject: Re: CTR rules for 1vs1 IRL tournament discussion   CTR rules for 1vs1 IRL tournament discussion Icon_minitime17/5/2015, 21:41

Why do you ban shortcuts?

If I had to choose the rules, I'd pick the following set-up:

Mode: Versus
Race type: Single
Best of: 3 (5 for querters/semifinals to finals)
Characters: Penta banned. Every player can ban 1 characters. 1st player chooses first.
Map: Choosen by players. Every player can ban up to 5-3 maps. 2nd player chooses first. Looser chooses next map.
Laps: 3
Shortcuts: All allowed.
Tech: All allowed.
Items: Not allowed to use.
Matches MUST be recorded: So I can see them c:

I'd wish Naughty Dog programmed a Time Trial Versus race, with both player being a ghost, but they didn't. I think this setup is the nearest thing to my vision of a competitive game race. I'll explain my reasons...

This is supposed to be a competition. In a competition, you take advantage from your opponent weak points. That's why I'll add the banning system if I'd was the organizer. Penta is quite overpowered. If both players could pick him up, there won't be necessary to ban him, but they cannot.

Allowing shortcuts and tech is just what is going to make the competition interesting. No body likes turtle races, so there is no point on caping shortcuts and tech because they add action and rewards player's skill (or penalizes them if they fail).

Item are fun, but random. Adding randomness to a competition could be frustrating for the competitors if they happen to deal with the injustice of randomness at critical points of the race (i.e. one player does get an item capable to open up the gate shortcut in Tiger Temple and the other one doesn't). This is no different from the last point, it's about rewarding the player's consitency, not player's luck.

Recording the games so other people can enjoy them. Also, if possilbe, consider doing a live stream of the tournament.
---

I wish you luck, mate. Here in Valencia, Spain, a recently opened e-sports bar is going to host some tournaments of community voted games, CTR among them, but it won't be as disputed as this tournament of yours, since there are not many good CTR players here, so I'm still jealous.

Back to top Go down
https://javamagician.com/
ktem
Citizen
Citizen
ktem

PostSubject: Re: CTR rules for 1vs1 IRL tournament discussion   CTR rules for 1vs1 IRL tournament discussion Icon_minitime18/5/2015, 07:56

In first, thank you Bazoo to respond to my post Smile

So, for the item, i understand what you think, but a lot of players dislike to play without item, and it's not just random:

The first tournament i do, i finished 4, but i'm the best in time trial, why i lose? Not because the luck, because i never played with item before, and the 3 guys of the top 3, played only in multiplayers, and know how to use items. The only broken item is the blue bolt and the timer, and if you play with CPU, you're always 1st or second, so they never come.

For the ban, i really hate to ban auto ban map, cause if you always ban 5 maps, you will never train in this 5 maps, cause you will never play on, you understand?

That why, i'm thinking about a system like that:

- 3 maps take randomly (because BO3)
- both players blind ban a map, or not
- If zero map was ban: let's go
- If 2 players use the ban: pick 2/1 new random map and let's go
- If only 1 player use ban: Pick 1 new map randomly, and the other player say "don't want this, i use my ban", and we pick another randomly, and let's go race.

I think it's the better system Smile
Back to top Go down
bazoo
Citizen
Citizen
bazoo

Male

Estadisticas
Nice User:
CTR rules for 1vs1 IRL tournament discussion Left_bar_bleue1000/1000CTR rules for 1vs1 IRL tournament discussion Empty_bar_bleue  (1000/1000)
Descripcion:

PostSubject: Re: CTR rules for 1vs1 IRL tournament discussion   CTR rules for 1vs1 IRL tournament discussion Icon_minitime18/5/2015, 12:01

About items; As I said, they are unfair, even if the game priorizes good items depending on the position. If there was an option to pick/ban items like in Battle mode, I will have no problem with them, because you will be able to choose which items will appear and plan your strategy based on that, but there is no such an option. When I play with my friends Battle mode, we always pick the same item, those that require some skill to get the most out of them: Bombs, Nitro Turbos, Beakers, Shields and sometimes, if we feel like it, Aku/Uka masks. There is one ovbious ban, Missiles. They automatically chase the enemy player and do not rely on player's skill (well, you can fuck things up if you shot them without being aware of near walls and obstacles). Think about Super Smash Bros. Melee. SSBM Tournaments doesn't feature items because they can imbalance the game in unpredictable ways. Since this is a local tournament, I encourage you to ask your participants if they do want or not to allow the use of items.

About banning; As I was writting it, I realized that the map banning system wasn't so robust. I though about preventing the players to ban the same maps in a row, so they must plan before hand the strategy to follow if they want to ban an specific map for an specific match. I don't know why I did not wrote it, guess I was to tired :/

Another system could be:

• 5 maps are presented, choosen by the organization at random or depending on the tournament stages.
  • P1 saves a map (map cannot be banned).
  • P2 saves and bans a map.
  • P1 bans a map.

The starting map is the one that wasn't saved or banned. The next map will be the looser's saved map. Last map is now obvious.

---

Please, tell me what you think about allowing the shortcuts, the character banning and if you plan to record/stream the tournament. Oh, and when are you planing to do this? Again, I wish you good luck c:
Back to top Go down
ktem
Citizen
Citizen
ktem

PostSubject: Re: CTR rules for 1vs1 IRL tournament discussion   CTR rules for 1vs1 IRL tournament discussion Icon_minitime19/5/2015, 04:37

Man, thankfull for your idea of rule, now, it's the best type of rule we have see Smile

About item: we will continue to use item, because new players jnow the game with item, and after we can talk to him about vs race without item. But matches with my friends and good players will be without item.

Character counter-pick: i talked about this with CTR french players, but they are not really ok with that, and it's not the type of rules they want.

Shortcut: We are talking about that, but i have a real problem with that, because that will make 2 types of players: players know taking hardcore cut, and the others.

I understand all what you want to do for tournament, but understand, now we must  create a community, not directly making hardcore gaming. That why, if we do some big competitions, we will make a tournament of vs race, arcade mode with item and battle mode, for all type of players Smile.

Recording: i want to buy the stuff for that, and i think we will do video in a month ^^

And thank's for your encouragement Smile
Back to top Go down
ktem
Citizen
Citizen
ktem

PostSubject: Re: CTR rules for 1vs1 IRL tournament discussion   CTR rules for 1vs1 IRL tournament discussion Icon_minitime22/5/2015, 06:23

Sooooooo yesterday we played some races with a friend, and the vs race without item is very interesting, and the best reason is the possibility to push your opponent with your kart, or block your opponent to take the first place. And when your second, take a strategy, mindgame to get the first place Smile So i'm definetly sure the 1vs1 match race without item was a really different think than time trial, and have much more interactivity between 2 players than we can think.

We played in battle mode to, and we are thinking about the best type of battle we can do for tournaments.

Tomorrow I will se the organizers of the Super mario Kart World Championship, and discuss with them about a partnership Smile

Hope that will motivate some people to think CTR was definitely not dead Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ju4y8
Lord
Lord
ju4y8

Registration date : 2010-12-18

PostSubject: Re: CTR rules for 1vs1 IRL tournament discussion   CTR rules for 1vs1 IRL tournament discussion Icon_minitime29/5/2015, 01:21

Im agree there shouldn't be allowed items. They are just for fun, not for competition Rolling Eyes
I know that David and LinkZer both lost against amateurs players in races with items xD And they were both GODs already affraid

And of course I'd love to see a streaming of the tournament! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ktem
Citizen
Citizen
ktem

PostSubject: Re: CTR rules for 1vs1 IRL tournament discussion   CTR rules for 1vs1 IRL tournament discussion Icon_minitime30/5/2015, 15:56

Ok so for tournament, the problem is:

We want more players, so if we want to catch them', we must play with item.

BUT, this is for funny tournament in barcraft, obviously, if we make really tournament like real competition, we will went in race without item.

But dont forget: Item must be played with skill, watch super mario kart tournament, all items is authorized: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOanYrFv6HY

We will make another barcraft tournament in 2 weeks, and this summer, i will upload some match vs my friend in CTR (We both have HERO level)
Back to top Go down
bazoo
Citizen
Citizen
bazoo

Male

Estadisticas
Nice User:
Descripcion:

PostSubject: Re: CTR rules for 1vs1 IRL tournament discussion   CTR rules for 1vs1 IRL tournament discussion Icon_minitime16/6/2015, 09:54

Finally, Meltdown Valencia is doing a CTR tournament today Very Happy

I'm pretty exited because its the first time I play one CTR tournament, not even against my friends. I'll try to take some pictures and introduce them to ctr4ever and this forum.

Wish me luck lengua
Back to top Go down
clody95
Citizen
Citizen
clody95

Registration date : 2015-05-12

PostSubject: Re: CTR rules for 1vs1 IRL tournament discussion   CTR rules for 1vs1 IRL tournament discussion Icon_minitime16/6/2015, 10:43

i think that the best way for the SC thing is to choose which SC could be taken, and wich not before every challenge, and anyway the biggest shortcuts in the game are nearly impossible to do in 2 players mode, so i think that a smart player wont mind to try it anyways
Back to top Go down
alpha-plus
Baron
Baron
alpha-plus

Registration date : 2009-02-15

PostSubject: Re: CTR rules for 1vs1 IRL tournament discussion   CTR rules for 1vs1 IRL tournament discussion Icon_minitime16/6/2015, 11:36

I would love to enter one of these tournaments being like "oh what is this game? looks fun, I'll give it a try" and then proceed to own everybody. I would also wear a fake white beard for added dramatic effect.
Back to top Go down
clody95
Citizen
Citizen
clody95

Registration date : 2015-05-12

PostSubject: Re: CTR rules for 1vs1 IRL tournament discussion   CTR rules for 1vs1 IRL tournament discussion Icon_minitime16/6/2015, 11:49

ahaha it would be very fun
Back to top Go down
ktem
Citizen
Citizen
ktem

PostSubject: Re: CTR rules for 1vs1 IRL tournament discussion   CTR rules for 1vs1 IRL tournament discussion Icon_minitime16/6/2015, 13:27

alpha-plus wrote:
I would love to enter one of these tournaments being like "oh what is this game? looks fun, I'll give it a try" and then proceed to own everybody. I would also wear a fake white beard for added dramatic effect.

I did that in my first CTR tournament xD And when i'm with friends and they want to play street fighter, and say "hey Ktem, i will destroy you in this game!" , and i kill them :3

Hope that will be good Bazoo ! Smile
Back to top Go down
bazoo
Citizen
Citizen
bazoo

Male

Estadisticas
Nice User:
Descripcion:

PostSubject: Re: CTR rules for 1vs1 IRL tournament discussion   CTR rules for 1vs1 IRL tournament discussion Icon_minitime16/6/2015, 16:57

Ugh, too many casuals sleep

But it was fun to see them racing, because someone was casting the races and making jokes.
Back to top Go down
ktem
Citizen
Citizen
ktem

PostSubject: Re: CTR rules for 1vs1 IRL tournament discussion   CTR rules for 1vs1 IRL tournament discussion Icon_minitime17/6/2015, 02:08

you really thought there would good players?^^

Guy, all good players are here, and if there were a world championship, i'm sure the tournament will not have more than 20 players ^^
Back to top Go down
ktem
Citizen
Citizen
ktem

PostSubject: Re: CTR rules for 1vs1 IRL tournament discussion   CTR rules for 1vs1 IRL tournament discussion Icon_minitime2/10/2015, 02:17

Very big event soon announced...
Back to top Go down
bazoo
Citizen
Citizen
bazoo

Male

Estadisticas
Nice User:
Descripcion:

PostSubject: Re: CTR rules for 1vs1 IRL tournament discussion   CTR rules for 1vs1 IRL tournament discussion Icon_minitime3/10/2015, 07:28

Please, tell us more about it!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: CTR rules for 1vs1 IRL tournament discussion   CTR rules for 1vs1 IRL tournament discussion Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

CTR rules for 1vs1 IRL tournament discussion
Page 1 of 1